Wednesday, October 30, 2013

anno imo potage

Ever since Soup Stock Tokyo opened up in Osaka, there is always a line to get in.

Oddly, I bought the Soup Stock Tokyo cookbook even before I tried this place.

So, on Sunday morning, while I waited for Satoshi to finish his German class, I went to have breakfast there.

There was a line, but it wasn't as crazy busy as it usually is at lunch or dinner time.

I'll write about eating here later, but I wanted to share this with you...

Anno-imo potage.

A creamy soup that is so sweet, you'll think the person who made the soup added sugar to it.

2 anno-imo (600 grams)
100 milliliters water
800 milliliters milk
150 milliliters cream
salt
white pepper

topping:
slices of anno-imo
some oil to fry potato in


After washing the potato well, cut the potato into 5-7 millimeter slices.
With the 100 milliliters of water (about 1/2 a cup) steam the potatoes until soft
When the potatoes are soft, add the milk and cook to heat the milk through (do not boil)
Take everything off the heat and with a hand blender (immersion blender), puree everything.
Put everything through a fine strainer.
You should have only the skins of the potato left in the strainer.
Return soup to pot and add cream
Cook on low to heat cream through
Add salt & pepper to taste
Prepare topping, fry slices of potato in some oil

NOTES: I added more water than the 1/2 cup to steam just because I thought the 1/2 cup would be too little. My strainer wasn't too fine so I had some bits of potato skin in the soup, I also didn't fry slices of potato, I bought sweet potato chips.

Still, this was an easy and very tasty soup. I'm making this again.

3 comments:

Rowena said...

Perfect food for the season. We need those sweet potatoes over here!

K said...

Yum, looks perfect for fall!

K and S said...

I hope you will be able to find some Japanese sweet potatoes over there, Rowena!

indeed K :)

Take care you two.
Kat