Wednesday, November 06, 2013

oni-sasa

On that show that features local cuisines they recently featured something from Ishigaki island in Okinawa...oni-sasa.

It is the combination of an onigiri and sasami fry (fried chicken breast).

What they do is go to an okazuya and take a plastic bag.

Place the fried chicken breast into the bag.

Place the onigiri of their choice on top.

Drizzle some sauce and then close up the bag.

Then just before eating, they smash and mold the rice and chicken together, creating what they call oni-sasa.

Satoshi and I decided we wanted to try this so we picked up some fried chicken breast.

I cooked some rice and made musubi with some furikake.

And then we put them into a plastic bag, drizzled some tonkatsu sauce and molded them...

This is really good picnic food!

Your hands don't get dirty because "everything is in the bag", so to speak.

I'm making this again the next time we go picnic-ing.

12 comments:

Fiona said...

At the shokudo of Kansai Gaidai, they used to sell massive onigiri with either karaage or seasoned konbu inside. I think they simply put a scoop of rice on a large square of cling film wrap, put the filling on top, then pulled the edges of the film together and spun the whole ball of rice and filling so that the film twisted shut. I'm thinking of making these the next time WR and I go on a picnic too.

Marie said...

I love this idea! Of course, anything with fried chicken gets a thumbs up from me. :)

K and S said...

you should try the musubi with shrimp tempura in them Fiona, they are called ten-musu, really good!

I agree with you about fried chicken, Marie :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

The first thing that came to mind was "reverse musubi"!

Unknown said...

Oooo, this sounds like a Japanese version of spam musubi!
I'm going to try it!

K and S said...

so true Kirk!

now that you say it, it does, Vicki!

Thanks K! I hope you get a chance to try something like this :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Anonymous said...

This is such a brilliant idea! I love how convenient (but delicious) it must be!

K and S said...

thanks Su-Lin, I hope you get a chance to try this :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I love you foodie experiments!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena :) I like when you experiment too.

Take care.
Kat

Su-Lin said...

I just watched a TV show featuring this and had to Google it. Found your blog post on it! I'm definitely going to try this at home.

K and S said...

Hope you like this Su-Lin!

Take care.
Kat