Monday, December 16, 2013

mottainai

I think I've told you that in Japanese, "mottainai" means "wasteful" or "what a waste".

Well, over the past month I've watch them clear this patch of land in our neighborhood.

This patch of land had 4 homes on it, which they have knocked down 3 of them already. All belonging to the same family.

It had these 3 sequoias as well as fruit trees and two large cherry trees.

It was the house where I found this chestnut as I was walking past.

And the house where I would almost always take a photo of the sunset and give thanks.

Satoshi loved the sequoias, he said he could feel the different seasons by watching them change.

When they sent us the notice that they would be clearing the land, Satoshi insisted that wouldn't cut down those trees.

But the other morning, they did.

I had heard a thump and looked out the window.

Of the three trees, one was still standing...

And then I heard another thump and they were gone.

I think it is so wasteful whenever they build or re-build in Japan, they totally clear the land of all buildings, plants and trees and start from "scratch".

For a country who talks about recycling and saving the environment, I think this is quite ironic and sad.

Still, I want to thank those trees and plants for making our days happy ones...thank you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really is a shame, but it happens here too in the name of progress.

KirkK said...

That's sad that they've taken away from the personality of the neighborhood.

jalna said...

Awwww. So sad. That picture of the chestnut in your hand is what led me to your blog. I love it.

Anonymous said...

So sad. And not "in the name of progress"....rather probably greed for money. Sad..........

K and S said...

so sad Rowena :(

indeed Kirk!

I know Jalna, I remember you saying that :(

indeed Alan :(

Take care everyone!
Kat

K said...

So sad!!

K and S said...

it is sad, K!

Take care.
Kat