Saturday, March 15, 2014

hounan ichiba

I told you a little about the Hounan Ichiba (hounan market) in yesterday's post.

This place is rather large and many eateries buy their ingredients from here.

There are many vendors selling different things. I thought their prices were quite reasonable.

In Japan, most vendors specialize in particular items, for example you buy fish from the fishmonger, meat from the butcher, etc.

Unlike the U.S., where most items are sold at supermarkets these days.

I picked up this bag of chirimen (whitebait)...200 grams for 475 yen. I divvied them up into 10 grams each and froze most of it.

Scored "bambucha" (huge) brussels sprouts...not sure how heavy these were but they were only 400 yen.

Which I used some in a Kimu-Taku stir-fry...we had this with lots of rice.

Huge San-Fuji apples, these are about 200 yen each, I think the markets sell each for more.

I also found super cheap goya (bittermelon)...2 for 150 yen.

I used 1 for goya tsukudani and the other one for goya champuru.

By the way, our weather is still funky, Thursday it rained.all.day.long.

And then yesterday there was hail and flurries!

Not to mention there was also a huge earthquake 5 or 6 level near Shikoku which Satoshi and I didn't even feel (we were in deep sleep), though it rocked pretty much all of Kansai and Kyushu...

At the rate we are going Spring is gonna whiz by and then we'll be left with super-humid-hot-blah Summer until October...sigh.

Hope the weather is warmer and nicer where you are.

Hounan Ichiba
right outside of Hankyu Shonai station
Toyonaka, Osaka
Open everyday except Sundays & Holidays
Hours: 9:00-18:00

7 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

I love We just had deep fried brussel sprouts with Mayo/wasabi sauce. Was delicious! No tempura batter, just quarter the brussel sprouts, fry, sprinkle salt, and drizzle mayo/wasabi mixture over. We had that at Gyukaku Windward Mall Location.

As for the Goya...hmmm...I need to figure a way to eat that...it's supposed to be good for diabetics!

KirkK said...

I'm craving Goya now....... would you believe that it was in the 80's here today?

K and S said...

ooh that sounds nice Mich :) I hope you can eat more goya!!

you so lucky, Kirk!

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

Same here on the East Coast of the US - it was 60-something (F) on Saturday, and now we are expecting a snow storm overnight!

K and S said...

I saw that on tv K! Stay warm!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I feel your pain on the weather, and I'm just hoping that this perfect spring temps will stay perfect through summer. Like that you got whitebait...I picked some up and also dehydrated sea lettuce to make a dish that I had seen on a flickr user account: http://flic.kr/p/kRvZA2

K and S said...

ooh can't wait to see that dish, Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat