Saturday, January 10, 2015

preserved lemon chicken

A couple of weeks back, I preserved a lemon in salt because I wasn't planning to use it any time soon and I didn't want it to rot before I had a chance to use it.

Actually preserved lemon is trending here. Growing up, my mom used have a huge jar of preserved lemons outside, she never cooked with it, instead we used to eat a little of it whenever our throats were sore.

I found a recipe to use the preserved lemons and adapted on it.

Preserved Lemon Chicken adapted from Dancyu makes 6 servings

2 huge chicken thighs (with skin, no bones), cut each thigh into 3 pieces
3 prunes
3 apricots
6 olives
6 wedges of preserved lemon
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of the preserved lemon juice
4 tablespoons whiskey
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
olive oil

Put the first 8 ingredients together and marinate for at least half a day.
Put the thinly slice onions and mushrooms in a baking dish
Lay the chicken, fruit and olives on top of the onions and mushrooms
Drizzle some olive oil over the chicken
Bake the chicken (uncovered) in a 180C(350F) for 30 minutes. And then under the broiler for 7 minutes.

NOTES: this was good, I would use slices of preserved lemon rather than wedges. I flipped the chicken around every time I opened the refrigerator door. The original recipe directs you to sear the chicken in a pan then bake-off. Next time, I would cook everything in a frying pan. I served this with quinoa and broccoli. I have a little more preserved lemon and will make this again.

5 comments:

jalna said...

My mouth watered as soon as I read your title!

K and S said...

Jalna, he he:)

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

We used to have that jar of lemons outside as well Kat! Made tea when we were getting sick.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love the intensity of flavor in preserved lemons--a little goes a long way. I always forget to make them ahead so I make Ottolenghi's recipe quick lemon pickles a lot--similar flavor in just a day or so.
;-)

K and S said...

I often wonder what happened to that jar, Kirk!

pickles sounds like a nice way to get preserved lemons in a pinch, Deb!

Take care you two!
Kat