Sunday, April 05, 2015

more peas than pork guisantes

Truth be told I'd never tried pork guisantes until a few years back, when my father's friend made some for us.

Recently, family friend, D, gave me one the Hawaiian Electric cookbooks (thank you!).

I flipped through it and pork guisantes was one of the recipes in it.

Springtime in Japan is the perfect chance to get your hands on fresh peas, or "usuiendo" or "endo mame" as they are called.

I decided to try this recipe.

I also incorporated another Hawaiian Electric recipe I found online and came up with this...

More Peas than Pork Guisantes adapted from 2 Hawaiian Electric recipes
couple of thinly sliced pork, cut into strips
part of a red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch slices
part of a yellow bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch slices
2 styrofoam packs of peas, taken out of their "shells" (about 50 grams)
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 clove garlic, grated
part of an onion, thinly sliced then diced
1 tablespoons oil
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Pre-cook the peas for about 15 minutes, drain and set aside.
Heat a pan with the oil and saute the meat with the onion and garlic
Then add the tomato sauce and water.
Bring to a boil.
Turn the heat down to a simmer.
Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, vinegar, bell peppers and peas
Cook for about 30 minutes.
Check the tenderness of the peas.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over rice.

NOTES: the amount of pork was less than the amount of peas I had thus the title. Feel free to up the meat if you wish, or up the peas if you wish. This was so easy and so good over rice. I liked the addition of the cinnamon. I'm definitely making this one again.

No comments: