Friday, April 10, 2015

this and that

So the weather has gone from Spring back to Winter (Tokyo had snow!).

Most days are gloomy, cloudy. Sometimes it rains.all.day.long.

Have been entertaining myself with all the spring veggies at the market.

I was excited to find portobello mushrooms, they're being grown in Chiba prefecture...whoo!

Not as big as some I've seen in the States, and they look more like brown mushrooms on steroids, but still excited to see them in the markets.

If I see them at the market again, I want to try making "burgers" with them.

From the lanai, I harvested some baby kale, swiss chard and beet tops.

Last night, dinner was the portobellos with a touch of butter and tonkatsu sauce. I sauteed the kale, swiss chard and beet tops with some sweet onions in olive oil. We also had avocado (it was a little firm) and Japanese cole slaw using purple cabbage.

Also brightening up the days are all the freesia from the lanai...love the fragrance!

And the double petal sakura have started blooming.

Today is one of those "supposed to rain all day" days, so I'm hanging out at home.

Hope you have a nice weekend!

6 comments:

K said...

Oh, I thought those were potatoes in the first photo, haha!

K and S said...

it does look like potatoes, K :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice meals Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk:)

Take care!
Kat

Phil said...

Lovely post, thanks for sharing Kat. I like the look of your veg from the lanai!

K and S said...

Thanks Phil! Hope all is well with you.

Take care.
Kat