Thursday, June 18, 2015

kakigori

The humidity and heat have been quite krazy this summer. In fact, both started before June, in May!

I think as the years pass I become wimpier and wimpier to these types of weather conditions.

I also think it gives me a nice excuse to enjoy kakigori (shave ice).

Japan's kakigori has a lot of fruit flavors and they actually top them with fruits too!

We tried this one at Yukinoshita. Satoshi had their matcha(green tea) which was super bitter until he hit the ice cream in the middle.

I had their coffee which was sweetened plus had a little ice cream in the middle too.

And then we tried Ujien.

Satoshi had their matcha milk shigure which came with a bitter green tea shave ice, some condensed milk and ice cream.

I chose the hojicha (roasted green tea) milk kintoki which came with a hojicha shave ice, some condensed milk, some shiratama (white dumplings) and sweet beans.

The sweet condensed milk and beans are needed to balance out the bitter tea shave ice.

These shave ice tend to be HUGE, so be on the look out for "half-sizes" whenever possible.

I hear tiramisu flavor is trending this year, hope we get a chance to try it somewhere.

Keep cool everybody!

7 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Oooooh that looks so good!

KirkK said...

Looks great Kat!

K said...

Ooh yum, they all look great!

K and S said...

definitely different Mich :)

it was Kirk :)

they really were K :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

jalna said...

I WANT SOME OF THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K and S said...

was so humid today Jalna, I needed one of these too!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

count me in on the wimpy boat - I absolutely hate that kind of weather. :(