Tuesday, January 12, 2016

smoked ahi (tuna) dip

Remember that smoked ahi dip I tried when I was in Hawaii last year?

Well, I think I came pretty close to re-creating it.

The biggest problem was to find smoked ahi (tuna). I've seen some places selling smoked tuna online here, but they have it already seasoned.

Then I stumbled on smoked shoyu...don't ask me how they smoke it, but it is really good, and doesn't overpower the shoyu taste.

Smoked Ahi Dip : adapted from the ingredients on the Kokohead Foods label : makes about 1/4 cup

70 grams tuna, oil drained
1/8 teaspoon tamarind pulp, thinned with 1 teaspoon of water
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked shoyu
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper flake
1/8 teaspoon anchovy paste
1 tablespoon mayo

Mix everything together and chill. Serve with lavosh or baguette.

NOTES: So easy to put together! We had this with toasted baguette. Satoshi didn't try it in Hawaii but gave this one a thumbs up. I would definitely make this again.

6 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Kat. Ever thought about getting a stovetop smoker? Works really well with fish. Come visit San Diego (the Missus and I.....and Dennis too!) and I'll get you one!

K and S said...

I think I saw one at Tokyu Hands, Kirk, will look into it. We really want to visit you guys too, will have to find some time to go that way :)

Take care!
Kat

Rowena said...

I'm thinking that a drop of liquid smoke could possibly work too (in the tuna or soy sauce).

jalna said...

I wanna try some of that shoyu!!!! So interesting!! Kirk's stovetop smoker sounds good too!

K and S said...

it probably would Rowena :)

so different but good Jalna :) I'm gonna look at Tokyu Hands to see how much a stovetop smoker is.

Take care you two.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks K!

Take care.
Kat