Wednesday, July 13, 2016

hilo

Over the weekend, I visited Hilo with my Aunties.

The weather wasn't forecast to be nice, so we often got caught in passing showers....

I was able to get my hands on some lychee from the Farmer's Market...so good!

We got to try some fruit mochi from Two Ladies Kitchen (Rainier Cherry (top), Mandarin Cutie (middle) and Saturn Peach (below))...all so good!

We were impressed with the rainier cherry, as the stem was still attached to the cherry but the seed had been pitted! The flesh of the cherry wasn't disturbed...amazing pitting technique!

I tried two different loco moco (for Satoshi)...a keiki moco (top) from Ken's Pancakes...meh! the patty was hard.as.rock. And Cafe 100's loco moco...

Cafe 100 apparently created the loco moco, so you know their version had to be good! (and it was! and it was only $3.50!)

Brought flowers to the family graves...

And visited with friends and relatives.

our main reason for visiting Hilo was to attend the hatsubon service for my Grandma, if you remember, she passed away last December.

I've written about hatsubon before here.

I also picked up some omiyage (souvenirs) for Satoshi and I to try when I get back to Japan.



Despite the off and on rain, it was nice to visit Hilo and reconnect with family and friends.

Thanks Aunty M for inviting me.

8 comments:

jalna said...

Lychee! Mochi! Loco Moco! Nice trip despite the rain. I love your anthurium shot!

KirkK said...

Hey Kat! Very nice......I don't think Café 100 is quite as good as it used to be. But it still hits the spot. Glad you didn't let the rain slow you down.

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna :)

Kirk you are the expert on loco moco :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

that first image is soooo Hilo! nice to hear that 2 ladies are still in business too.

kabocha808 said...

I'm glad you had a nice visit to my hometown of Hilo. Enjoy the rest of stay in Hawaii.

K and S said...

I'm glad they are still in business too Rowena, still so ono!

Thanks Teri! I will :)

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

Mmm, loco moco!

K and S said...

it was really good at Cafe 100, K!

Take care.
Kat