Wednesday, May 03, 2017

sakura daikon

I wanted to recreate the sakura daikon we tried from Marukoshi.

I still can't understand why companies insist on using artificial sweeteners...

The recipe I found online seemed like it would be a little too sweet, so I adapted it...

5 inch long daikon, peeled & cubed
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3 or 4 salted sakura (do not rinse off the salt), chopped

Put everything in an airtight jar and let soak for a couple of hours.
Enjoy!

NOTES: not an overpowering sakura flavor and not too salty nor too sweet. I'm making this again!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I was hoping you would post how you did this! Thank you, I'm dying to try it!
v

K and S said...

hope you like it V!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I like how it turns pink - pretty!

K and S said...

sorry Rowena, the one I made didn't turn pink :(

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

My friend gave me a bag of ume salt and first thing I thought of was using it to make this. 1st batch, I just tried sprinkling the salt on thinly sliced daikon. just tasted salt. Next batch, I think I'll try it with this recipe.
v

K and S said...

hope it works V!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I forgot if I ever mentioned, I think that pink color comes from the ume vinegar. My friends suggested I use that to try making this daikon. Have to use very sparingly....it's more like ume salt than vinegar but turned my daikon pink. I even made with cucumber:)
v

K and S said...

will keep my eye out for ume vinegar, V!

Take care.
Kat