Wednesday, August 16, 2017

ono hawaiian foods

Met up with my Flickr friend, Rex.

He mentioned that Ono Hawaiian Foods was closing so if we could have lunch there...

To tell you the truth, I'd never eaten there, in all of the 50-something years they were in business (sorry!)

Growing up, my family would always make lau lau, lomi lomi salmon, haupia...and on special occasions we would make kalua pig...

So, rarely would we go out to eat these foods.

Anyway...we got there a couple minutes before opening and by the time the place opened there was a nice line.

Lots of people taking out, but there were also quite a bit dining in.

Rex ordered their kalua pig plate, while I went with their lau lau plate...both $18.00 (plus tax)

Each plate comes with lomi lomi salmon, haupia, pipikaula, pickled onions and rice or small poi (we both chose poi).

I really enjoyed the family style dining.

The lau lau was HUGE but super moist and very well seasoned.

The kalua pig was tender and flavorful.

One day old poi was on the tart side but delicious with the lomi lomi salmon.

It was nice experiencing this place, though sad that they will close at the end of the month.

Thanks for suggesting this place and meeting up Rex!

Ono Hawaiian Foods (closing at the end of August 2017)
726 Kapahulu Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.737.2275

8 comments:

Alan said...

My son loves this place and has to eat there every time we return to Honolulu. I too love Hawaiian food, but IMO they always charge too much for the food. I always wonder why Hawaiian food places charge so much. Mo bettah just go to Chinatown and get the stuff for your meal -- lau-lau, kalua pig, lomi, pipikaula, poke, etc.

K and S said...

Alan, I think to gather all the ingredients to make the different dishes adds up in cost, plus cooking time too...hope your son will be able to find a new fave the next time you are in town!

Take care!
Kat

Anonymous said...

One of my must eat places when I am there - I think that "bambucha" may have been coined to describe the Lau Lau there! I hope I get back before he last day.

A different Alan

K and S said...

THAT laulau was huge! Alan...I hope you get back there before the last day!

Take care!
Kat

Rowena said...

I read the word poi and I was salivating already...wish Hawaii wasn't so far away!

K and S said...

with you could get taro in the chestnut forest Rowena, then you could make your own...

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

I heard this news and was bummer Kat. Especially since it's in my 'hood and I'd been going there since small kid time.

K and S said...

that is a bummer Kirk :(

Take care!
Kat