Thursday, March 08, 2018

aunty misao's saba patties

Many years ago, my grandma's sister gave me her recipe for salmon patties.

I finally got around to trying it the other night.

Since I didn't have canned salmon, I used canned mackerel.

Adaption of Aunty Misao's saba patties : makes about 8

1 can mackerel packed in water, drained (90 grams)
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons dry okara
1 egg
1/4 purple onion, diced
several grinds of pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a bowl, break the mackerel up with a fork.
Add the flour and dry okara
Mix
Add the egg, onion and pepper.
Mix well
Heat the tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan
With a soup spoon, scoop out and dollop into the pan, then flatten with back of the spoon.
Cook for at least 2-3 minutes then flip
After flipping, cover pan and cook for 2 minutes to cook through.
Take out of the pan and place on paper towel to "blot" the oil from the patties.

NOTES: I didn't have many of the ingredients in her recipe (canned salmon, breadcrumbs, water chestnuts, green onions). Her recipe also uses 3 eggs.

The can of salmon on her recipe has more volume (200 grams), which is probably why she uses a more breadcrumbs and 3 eggs.

Anyway, I'm glad I tried this.

In Hawaii, we would have these kinds of patties served with salad and rice...I just served ours on salad with a little sesame dressing.

On a rainy night like the other night, this was perfect comfort food.

It was easy to put together and I'll definitely be making this again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that mail was super fast. I'm glad they got there intact. I'm responding here cuz my FB is incognito for safety. Thank YOU -N

Rowena said...

My mom did something similiar but it was tuna; tasty stuff!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your "old school" recipe. I will have to try with canned salmon. I was thought to use surimi.

Kal said...

And I am going to try this over the weekend. If it looks and tastes good enough, I will share it on the blog and link it to yours. Fingers crossed!

K and S said...

it really was fast and so thoughtful N! Thank you!

my mom used to do tuna also Rowena!

Surimi can also be used Anon!

Hope you like it Kal!

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Looks good Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk!

Take care.
Kat